Fanny ODeas traditional pub is one of Ireland’s oldest family run pubs, and has been owned by the one family since the late 1600’s over 8 generations. The story of the house goes back to the Cromwellian invasion about 1649. The O’Dea Clan of Dysart who were chieftains of the district were forced to abandon their possessions and lands and leave Dysart. One of the Clan, Denis eventually settled in Lissycasey about 1695 and set up a small inn on the side of a cattle track which linked the towns of Ennis and Kilrush. This was later to become the site of Fanny O’Dea’s.
Fanny O’Dea herself who was a grand niece of Denis was brought up by an Aunt who was married to Bauchier Brew in Kilrush. She got a good education but at an early age married a local farmer and came to Lissycasey to help her ageing Grand Uncle Denis with his business. Fanny was a great housekeeper, very hospitable, she had a real flair for business and soon had both locals and strangers alike calling.